Welcome to the blogspot of Melbourne writer, Elizabeth Jane

Welcome to the blogspot of Melbourne writer, Elizabeth Jane

Monday, January 28, 2008

Varuna

We are back from our momentous week in Fiji and wonderful week camping at Lorne. We are unpacked. The washing line is groaning under the weight of its load. I have booked the car in for a service and the dog in for a hair cut. I am yet to do the grocery shopping and pick up the last of the school books for tomorrow. The first few days are always the worst after a holiday. I have not forgotten to write about Fiji and put some photos up on Flickr. I simply have not had time to do it justice. Before I write about Fiji, I feel compelled to update you on the status of the Varuna Awards.

Unfortunatley, I was not selected for the final shortlist. I am dissapointed, obviously, but not surprised. I think you will have gathered from my previous blog that I was esctatic and surprised to have made it to the second stage. The director of Varuna Peter Bishop very graciously wrote each person not adavanced to the final stage a personal letter. Among other things he wrote this about my work:

Chrysalis didn't quite make it to the final shortlist for the Varuna Awards.
With very strong competition I couldn't see it being successful. But I must
emphasise that all the competition came from novels of a completely
different kind, and I do think that if a publisher was looking for the kind
of novel you write then Chrysalis, which is very well-written and
interestingly characterised, would be in with a strong chance.


I am hanging on to the very well written bit and the words interestingly characterised. I would have liked him to elaborate on the kind of novel you write bit beacause I am still not sure myself what that is. But I guess that is all part of the journey.

Congratulations to those who made it to the final shortlist. I look forward to reading their novels when they are published.

SHORTLIST –VARUNA AWARDS FOR MANUSCRIPT DEVELOPMENT

RHONDA AARON THE GLITTERING TART
PAM BAKER THE TRIANGLE
AMY BARKER OMEGA PARK
SALLY BREEN THE CASUALS
DIANA BURSTALL ANIMAL MAP
ALISON CHAN THE HOSPITAL OF EARTH AND SKY
EMILIE COLLYER BIRDLAND
DEMET DIVAROREN ORAYT?
PAMELA DOUGLAS MILKRIVER
CATHERINE HARRIS THE JANE MANIFESTO
TONI HOUSTON SHIP SHAPED
ELLY INTA SLIPPED THROUGH THE NET
HEATHER JACOBS FRIENDS OF PHO
CHRISTOPHER JOHNSON IN THE PENTHOUSE
PETER KAY BLOOD
CHRISTINA MANAWAITI THE BREAKER RISING
CHRIS McCOURT THE CLEANSING OF GOOL MAHOMMED
STUART McCULLOUGH THE CONCRETE KING

We are also pleased to announce the list of writers invited to attend the Pathways to Publication Masterclass, to take place Monday April 21st (arrival) to Sunday 27th (departure). Five outstanding writers –with a definite emphasis on young adult writing: there were so many exciting submissions in this genre in this year’s applications.

PATHWAYS TO PUBLICATION MASTERCLASS (April 21-27)
AMY JACKSON THE ISLANDS: NAUGHT
ANGELA MEYER SMOKE AND DANCING
JEROME PARISSE BODY SWAP
GABBIE STROUD MEASURING UP
KIRSTEN REED THE ICE AGE

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz
You keep up the excitement you had when you knew you were in the Varuna mix. And while you continue writing remember all the good comments you received about your writing.

We are SO PROUD of you for your achievements.

Hannercymraes said...

Thanks Anne. That is so nice.