Welcome to the blogspot of Melbourne writer, Elizabeth Jane

Welcome to the blogspot of Melbourne writer, Elizabeth Jane

Monday, June 27, 2011

A few photos

I have been here a week, so I thought it was time to put some photos up. But what have I been up to?

I have been staying Essex with my Godmother (the one who rescued me).

We went on a tour of some Essex Villages. 

Yes, people actually get to live in these places!




Went to see the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain. And the Essex Guitar Orchestra


Had fish and chips with mushy peas at Leigh-on-sea.



Took a long slow car journey to Dorset. Saw ponies, foxgloves and more beautiful villages.






Visited my aunt who lives in a care home on the edge of the New Forest and caught up with an uncle I haven't seen for years.

I also spent an inordinate amount of time in the Ilford library - in search of my non-salubrious heritage.


My dad had always told the story of a bomb blast that knocked him off his feet while at school. Hundreds of bombs fell on Ilford during World War Two but with the few facts in my possession and the assistance of the local history librarian we have identified the incident it was and his school. I want to write a short story based on some of his wartime memories and this incident will be pivotal to the narrative (at least, I think it will). 
Of course, I could have just picked an event - any event - and written the story. But that's not the way it works for me - hence my time in the Local History Reading Room.



No comments: