Welcome to the blogspot of Melbourne writer, Elizabeth Jane

Welcome to the blogspot of Melbourne writer, Elizabeth Jane

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bywyd yn y Coal House

I've done it! Read my first ever Welsh language novel.

Okay, it was only eighty three pages long and written for reluctant readers. But I've done it - and understood the story - so yeh me!

Written in five, first-person voices, Bywyd yn y Coal House tells the story of the Griffiths family, living as a 1927 coal mining family, for the purposes of a reality TV show. Words were spelled as they were pronounced - hard work looking them up in the dictionary. There were also quite a few colloquialisms, which made the whole thing a bit tricky. But by the end of the novel I was starting to read sentences for meaning and knowing what the unknown words were by their context.

My next book will be: Parti Ann Haf by Meleri Wyn James. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: