Welcome to the blogspot of Melbourne writer, Elizabeth Jane

Welcome to the blogspot of Melbourne writer, Elizabeth Jane

Friday, April 1, 2011

A non-carer's guide to caring

This week, I'm in Adelaide. Mum has her arm in plaster and I have been wheeled in to help. The role of carer doesn't sit well with me. Too much patience and constant attention involved. But I've been here three whole days and, so far, I haven't even begun to grit my teeth.

Yes, that's right. It is all smiles down here in Aberfoyle Park.

Okay, a few desperate moments when I couldn't find the password to mum's Wifi. But a quick SMS to my brother in Malawi got it sorted. Since then, I have cooked, scoured dishes, cleaned cupboards (Shh! Andrew doesn't know I can do this), shopped and driven to medical appointments.

Yep, that's right.

I am hailing myself a huge success.

Furthermore, as this looks like becoming a regular gig and I am getting so seriously good at it, I thought I'd publish the secrets to my success. A non-carer's guide in three easy lessons. My first hot tip is this:

Get an iPhone.



Yes, that's right, an iPhone. It really is the number one survival tool. Apart from the obvious like telephone, email, iPod, a camera, alarm clock, a calculator, maps, and a host of other astounding features, it also has Apps.

One of these has been particularly beneficical.

 But, I won't go into that tonight. The details are profound and, frankly, too overwhelming.

Just think on the i word and smile as you wait for my next installment.

No comments: