Welcome to the blogspot of Melbourne writer, Elizabeth Jane

Welcome to the blogspot of Melbourne writer, Elizabeth Jane

Thursday, May 19, 2011

I have a dream ....

If Martin Luther King had been from South Wales, he might have said:

Mae breuddwyd gyda fi.

Translated literally, this reads: a dream is with me.

But if he had been from North Wales, he might have said:

Mae gen i freuddwyd

It means the same thing, a dream is with me, but the possession pattern is different.

Instead of Gyda fi (with me) or gyda ti (with you) or gyda fe (with him) ... they use the word 'gan' and it doesn't come at the end of a sentence but towards the beginning. The word 'gan' also conjugates and causes a soft mutation Which, in Martin Luther King's case, means his breuddwyd would have turned into a freuddwyd (dream).

I am trying to learn this new pattern for when I discourse fluently and at length (yeh, right) with the poor unsuspecting inhabitants of Criccieth.

And just in case I find myself sharing my dreams, along with other stock standard 'Dick and Dora phrases like the sun is shining, my name is Liz, and where is the toilet, I thought I should write a script.

Here goes:

Mae gen i freuddwyd! - I have a dream.

Oes gen ti freuddwyd? - do you have a dream?

Oes, mae ganddo fo freuddwyd - yes, he has a dream. Mae ganddi hi freuddwyd, hefyd - she has a dream too.

Yes, that's right I will be holding regular group therapy sessions in North Wales.

Mae gan gwr freuddwyd - my Husband has a dream.

Spilling all my family secrets.

Mae gan chwiriod freuddwydio hefyd, a fy meibion - my daughters have dreams too and my sons.

Mae gan fy nheulu freuddwyd - my whole family has a dream.

At this point, I will probably fling my arms wide and ask:

Oes gen ti freuddwyd? - Do you have a dream?

I wonder whether anyone will reply?

(apologies to M L K and of course the Welsh language - I'm sure I have made plenty of mistakes) 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Liz, sounds like your Welsh is powering on. You'll be wowing the locals.

And able to get totally into the mood on your upcoming retreat. A writer's bliss - writing in land of her characters.

Aah, she says, sighing enviously.
Best, Chris.