Welcome to the blogspot of Melbourne writer, Elizabeth Jane

Welcome to the blogspot of Melbourne writer, Elizabeth Jane

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Love Wins - not written in Welsh this time :-)

I have just started reading Rob Bell's book, Love wins: a book about heaven, hell and the fate of every person who ever lived.

In the preface, there is a great quote and it pretty much sums up why I ordered the book in the first place:

"-for all those, everywhere, who have heard some version of the Jesus story that caused their pulse rate to rise, their stomach to churn, and their heart to utter those resolute words: I would never be part of that.

I am one of those people - and I am not alone.

In his preface, Bell goes on to write:

"A staggering number of people have been taught that a select few Christians will spend forever in a peaceful place called heaven, while the rest of humanity spends forever in torment and punishment in hell with no chance for anything better. It as been clearly communicated to many that this belief is a central truth of the Christian faith and to reject it is in essence to reject Jesus. This is misguided and toxic and ultimately subverts the contagious spread of Jesus' message of love, peace, forgiveness and joy ..."

Yes!

I will be reading this book over the coming months - and splashing my thoughts all over this blog.

So look out!

No comments: